70-Bisexual-Actresses

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

We named them, but missed a few.



Yes, we had some eye catching headlines. This was a follow-up to the male bisexual list of male stars we had mentioned in a past issue of the Hollywood Star newspaper. This list of bisexual actresses was much shorter. And remember, this list was around 1981 and there are perhaps, seventy or more that could be added to this list. This list is shorter, because I am not a woman and haven't slept with many women. Through past relationships with actors in the industry, they have been hesitant to mention female bisexuals, primarily because they don't give a damn who is or who isn't Bi in the female world. So, although there are a few top stars on this list, it is in no way complete. My sources have been through agents, studio publicists, actor friends, and acquaintances who knew many of the persons listed here.


 "I find Bill Dakota very funny and gutsy. Professionally, I think he is appalling. I wouldn't dare print a lot of stuff I know, but he's got total freedom. As bizarre as it sounds, I would never call Bill Dakota a liar." - Jack Martin, former columnist for the New York Post and now with Beverly Hills 213.

"Unlike Palin's book, there is no ghost writer. And this wasn't written in a two month period. And, everything, EVERYTHING, in my book is true." - Bill Dakota

THE BOOK HOLLYWOOD DIDN'T WANT PUBLISHED 

"THE GOSSIP COLUMNIST"
AVAILABLE NOW!!! from
Studio "D"Publishing Company
Available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and all Internet book sites.
Retailers can order through Ingram Book Distributors
ISBN  978-0-615-37758-2
WORLD WIDE DISTRIBUTION





Like my list of male bisexuals, this list started forming in my head in the fifties, when I had a couple of sexual dalliances with agent, Dick Clayton, who was one of the biggest agents in Hollywood at that time. Some of the persons listed here were his clients at one particular time. He had also told me, at that time, he never handled anyone who wasn't bisexual, and for his protection he didn't go to bed with anyone who wasn't bisexual. One of his clients was Jane Fonda and she had even lived with him for awhile at the beginning of her career. I mentioned this part in another chapter of the book,.... "as we walked into his Hollywood hillside home, he turned the television set on and said, "I told her I would turn on the television show she was in." He might have turned on the show, but the forty year old agent and myself, never watched it-smile!

As with out list of bisexual male stars, I want to add that the persons listed here are mostly bisexual having had sexual experiences with both sexes. Some are basically lesbians, while others have married and perhaps have had relationships on the side. I have always said, "if girls like to give guys head, then why is it that some men shouldn't enjoy doing it as well?" That goes for women too. Many men like to give women head, so why couldn't other women enjoy doing it too?

Years ago, Lily Tomlin in GAYSWEEK newspaper said, "If I'm going out on a bisexual limb, I don't want to play safe by listing more men than women. That was disgusting of Maria," (referring to Maria Schneider, who in an interview, listed the number of men versus the number of women she had had sex with. But, with an affair with a particular woman in 1975, it caused her to follow her heart into a booby hatch).

The intention of the lists was not to embarrass anyone. It was to inform the public so that whenever someone would say, so and so is gay or bisexual, it would be "old" news. They would have read it here and was aware of it. Since many years have passed since this paper was published, there isn't too much excitement whenever someone in the industry is considered or mentioned as being gay or bisexual.

Here goes:

BARBARA STANWYCK
ANGIE DICKINSON
JUNE ALLYSON
CLEO MOORE
JANET LEIGH
ELKE SOMMER
MacKENZIE PHILLIPS
CAROL BURNETT
POLLY BERGEN
THELMA RITTER
LOLA FOLANA
JANE RUSSELL
DONNA SUMMER (DENIES IT)
BIANCA JAGGER
GAIL RUSSELL
CHER
JEAN PETERS
LINDA HAYNES
KRISTY McNICHOLS
AVA GARDNER
DEBBIE REYNOLDS
AGNES MOOREHEAD
PENNY MARSHALL
MARIE WILSON
JUDY GARLAND
JULIE CHRISTIE
LILY TOMLIN
GALE STORM
SENTA BERGER
LORETTA SWIT
BETTY WHITE
LAUREN BACALL
JOAN BLONDELL
MARILYN MONROE
JULIE ANDREWS
JANE FONDA
JOAN BAEZ
LIZ SCOTT
LESLIE CARON
JOAN CRAWFORD
DIANE VARSI
LYNN FONTAINE
MARIA MONTEZ
URSULA ANDRESS
ROSALIND RUSSELL
DEBRA PAGET
KIM NOVAK
KATE JACKSON
BO DEREK
BOBBIE GENTRY
TALLULAH BANKHEAD
LIZA MINNELLI
FRANCIS FARMER
LYNN BARI
MARILYN MAXWELL
BRIGITTE BARDOT
MARIA SCHNEIDER
CAROL LYNLEY
NATALIE WOOD
ANNETTE FUNICELLO
ANNE FRANCIS
STELLA STEVENS
VIVIAN BLAINE
SUSAN STRASBERG
CAPUCINE
VERONICA LAKE
CORRINE CALVET
BARBARA NICHOLS
EVE PLUMB

Unfortunately, many have passed on since this list was made. Since this listing another writer, Boze Hadleigh, wrote a book titled "Hollywood Lesbians." I had heard about the book because Ginger Coyote (a singer with the White Trash Debutantes), said she had heard about it and that my paper had been mentioned. I could never find a copy, until perusing through books at the Book Circus in Hollywood I bought it just by the title. At that time I never even knew this was the book Ginger had mentioned. I was surprised, upon reading it, to find the following section. It was an interview Boze had with Barbara Stanwyck and he mentioned the list.

Boze: Since you mention it..there's a list..I did not compile it..that came out in 1981 in a paper called the Hollywood Star, of seventy bisexual actresses.

Stanwyck: (slowly) I never saw it.

Boze: If you want to see it, I have half the page with the headline, and the full page, from inside, with the list of seventy.

STANWYCK: You may show it to me.

Boze: (I do, and she unfolds the headline, then the full page list; the name at the top left is Barbara Stanwyck, but I don't dare congratulate her on "top billing." She studies the list, eyes opening wider a few times, then hands it back to me impassively). This followed a list they've published on bisexual actors. Did you see on the top right it says, "Although many of the listed actresses prefer both men and women, it has no bearing on their talent as actresses."

Stanwyck: (Pause) It's a star studded list isn't it?

Boze: Not in alphabetical order.

Stanwyck: (Sharply) I'd like you to give me that list. You don't mind (reaches for it. I yield it up).

Boze: I can loan it to you. I have no copy.

Stanwyck: (after reading the list) What do you think of it?

Boze: Half is no surprise to me. A few names are very surprising. Like Susan Hayward. But, it could mean just one such fling in some instances. I don't think anyone would think any less of these actresses.

Stanwyck: I don't believe all of it.

Boze: No one else knows all about a person's private life or encounters. I'm surprised at some of the actresses listed, because presumably, they're not "Bi" but lesbian.

Stanwyck: Do you think they used Bisexual actresses for legal...?

Boze: Yes. It's all so inconclusive. Did you notice the top photo of three, including Marilyn Monroe and Kristy McNichols, is Joan Crawford?

Stanwyck: Of course I noticed. It's a very old photo.

Boze: Before this list, in "Mommie Dearest," it said Crawford had lesbian tendencies...?

Stanwyck: It would have killed Joan to be called lesbic by that daughter of hers. Fortunately, for Joan, that was overlooked in publicity about her being an alleged child beater. That, she wouldn't have minded as much as the other.

Boze: But, that's ridiculous. One is hurting a person--a child--the other is loving or pleasuring a consenting adult.

Stanwyck: I'm talking abut Joan, not me. Let's get it over with. What questions?

Boze: Do you think bisexuality was very widespread among female stars during Hollywood's heyday?

Stanwyck: I heard Dietrich, Greta Garbo, most of the girls from Europe swing either way. Then I found out it's true.

Boze: You found....out?

Stanwyck: Next....!

Boze: Next questions is..you were good friends with Crawford?

Stanwyck: Yes I was. Next....

Boze: But not Bette Davis?

Stanwyck: We're not friends. But I admire her as an actress.

Boze: Was it very difficult in Hollywood to be a star and not marry? The pressure to wed...

Stanwyck: Personally I admired the girls who never married. Me, I wouldn't have had the guts. If that's what these gals wanted.

Boze: Out of curiosity I can see what attracted you to Robert Taylor, but what about Frank Fay? (no reply) Everyone's forgotten he was a bigger star that you.

Stanwyck: He was a bigger star than me. The next question. (Looks at her watch).

Boze: Was there any pressure to marry Robert Taylor?

Stanwyck: (pursed lips) I don't now about any pressure.

Boze: You were the bigger star. It was his first marriage.

Stanwyck: I won't say anything about either of his marriages

Boze: No, but there was apparently pressure on him to wed (no response). And of course a marriage between two stars generates that much more publicity, and can help both careers.

Stanwyck: You're curious about the actor's private life?

Boze: I know a woman whose husband--a studio executive--is basically heterosexual, but she says he had an affair with Robert Taylor when they were young.

Stanwyck: What year?

Boze: I didn't ask her. She said it lasted a few months and the husband never regretted it.

Stanwyck: Who is she?

Boze: I can't say.

Stanwyck: (Rising). Then don't you dare ask me if it was an arranged marriage. (Notice, I didn't ask yet). I'm damned tired of that impertinent question. Now, please leave.

Boze: I am sorry I upset you.

Stanwyck: Just please get out.

Boze: Or if the truth bothers you. I will take the headline and the list with me--thank you. At least you got top billing--thank you for your time.

(link:the-gossip-columnist-49.blogspot.com) 170 Bisexual male stars named.